Monday, August 6, 2018

August 2018

Hello again. We survived the extreme heat in Texas. Temperatures are more normal now. I hope you survived the heat and are doing well.

My friend wanted a Gauguin inspired painting and I studied the Gauguin paintings I had seen in Paris this summer. I had chosen to listen to Black (a story about a dog) by Alexandre Dumas. I was enjoying the story and was in for a surprise when just as I was painting this painting the story moved to Tahiti... It was a wonderful coincidence!
Gauguin Canigou, palette knife on panel, 9x12"
Hope, graphite on Bristol paper, 11x14"

Hope, was drawn from a photograph of a beautiful, little girl I met at La Villita.

New Zealand Memory, oil on linen, 11x14"
I finished my very first palette knife from memory painting, started last fall after our trip to New Zealand. It is a subject I want to re-visit.

4 comments:

  1. I love the New Zealand painting especially. The reflections are really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I enjoyed painting it. It was a big step out of my comfort zone. Have you been to New Zealand?

    ReplyDelete