Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Little Boxes all the same?

This song brings back memories. Robert was driving in Germany with 2 year-old Misha and myself in the car. We listened to songs of the 70's. Two songs stood out. "Where have all the Flowers  gone?" "Put in Boxes, little Boxes all the same..." I vowed right there and then that my kids (we were expecting Gabriel) would not be put in boxes. Now, many years later, I believe, we succeeded: homeschooling, going to Japan, a diverse background to begin with and parents who encouraged them to think for themselves... But still Misha, Gabriel and Gerald went and are going to the universities, where we expect them to be exposed to a multitude of ideas and knowledge instead of being put into boxes. On the other hand, even I acknowledge that a little conformity is not so bad. I am not a revolutionary myself - far from it.

It was at a class at Edward Povey's about painting cardboard boxes that I first tried my hand at it and started seeing colors and shapes I liked. It made me think about Braque's abstract work, wondering if he was painting boxes as well.
I have a little series now and enjoy painting them. Of course, they can't all look the same!
Robert likes them; he sees more depth in them than in my usual work and likes the angles.
What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I love your new series Vera. I am particularly drawn to the colors you see in the subjects. Coincidentally, I am painting a series now too. I have finished one and am working on #2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Phyllis! good to hear that you are going to sell your work as well.

    ReplyDelete