Wednesday, January 31, 2018

January 2018

I started taking lessons in oil painting using a palette knife with Jim McDonald. I have had two lessons so far and what is interesting to me is that Jim paints landscapes from memory. It is very relaxing to me to learn to create art in a very different way. Jim has a zen way of approaching painting. I look forward to my lesson each month as a treat.

My first attempt turned out a little dark. I consider that I painted it by myself. Jim did show me how he works on another canvas and he gave me advice along the way. I made the decisions, however, and did the painting. My favorite part is the green sky. (I remember that Edward Povey once advised me to paint a sky green and at the time, I just could not bring myself to do it. It is a few years later and I can see the benefit.) I believe, there is something more I can do on this and I will keep you posted...


Coming into View


The second attempt is a painting where we took turns painting, discussing what was happening along the way. It was fun!
Now, I am usually not comfortable with anybody working in my painting. Somehow this was a cooperative project from the beginning with each of us coming up with what we could to help bring this landscape into the world.

Morning Mist










No comments:

Post a Comment